Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Good Morning Sunshine

Shawn is a pre-med student. A "graduate pre-med" student, as I was just corrected. With this title comes a LOT of studying. When we first moved into the house, I had the brilliant idea that he should have his own study room. Did I mention this place has 4 bedrooms, and it's just the two of us? Shawn didn't like this idea.

Shawn lived in California for two years, and attended a college for some post grad classes about two hours away from where I lived. On weekends, I would drive to stay with him in his apartment. Shawn is a dedicated student. Just because I was there didn't mean he was going to put off studying. You see, Shawn likes to get up early, and study when the day is still young. When the hustle and bustle of the day isn't too much to conquer any hope of concentrating. Shawn also likes to be in the same room as me while I sleep, and be what I lovingly refer to as "a creeper." This is why he didn't want his own study room. How could he lovingly watch me sleep if he wasn't in the same room? This is where problems hit.

I am not normally an early bird, although moving to New York is changing that. I quite enjoy sleeping in and basking in the silence that the morning brings. For starters, silence does not exist in New York City, nor does it exist anywhere NEAR New York City. That aside, I am getting used to the screaming sirens of fire engines, the clanging of trucks, and the sudden vroom of cars taking off too fast from the stoplight by our house. Some how, however,  I am still not accustomed to the morning sound that is "Shawn."

I felt him crawl out of bed this morning, and heard the creaking of the bathroom door as it shut. I was lulled back to sleep by the sound of his toothbrush. I remember thinking to myself, "He's quiet this morning." Alas, I thought too soon.  Within a few minutes the door creaked back open, causing my eye to peak open. I closed it again.

CLANG
Something fell off the chair as he was trying to get his books.

SHUFFLE SHUFFLE SHUFFLE
The papers he needed were not where he had thought they were.

CREAK
He was getting back into bed.

CREAK
He forgot something, and needed to get back up.

BANG
His books needed to be placed on the night stand.

This continued for what seemed like an eternity. I glared at him.

"I'm sorry, baby, did I wake you up?" He said with genuine sincerity in his voice.

I continued to glare, and finally rolled over and hid my head under a pillow.

Somehow, I fell back to sleep. Keep in mind that the commotion did not stop just because I had done so. The next thing I knew, the bedroom door was creaking open, and the strong sent of hazelnut overwhelmed my senses. I opened my eyes to Shawn standing at my bedside holding a mug of hazelnut coffee.

I guess I'll keep him...until tomorrow morning, at least.

1 comment:

  1. LOL I woulda given up trying to sleep after about a minute of that loudness. My parents tend to do that when I'm trying to sleep. Most of the time it's not a big deal. I am use to most of their sounds, but occasionally, something new pops up.

    ReplyDelete