Friday, October 29, 2010

Is She Ok?

So far, this blog has been about my life lessons being out in the world on my own, and, for the most part, they have all been rather humorous. Well, my friends, a LOT has happened in the last two weeks, and writing is therapeutic for me. With this in mind, I guess I'm writing this particular entry as a personal release, and a way to dissect the events that have occurred in the recent past. Let's organize in chronicle order, shall we?

1. I got a job working as an office assistant for a Chiropractic Office. I got the job rather quickly, actually. I submitted my resume on a Friday, got a call to set up an interview on Monday, Interviewed on Tuesday, and was working on Wednesday.

The interview process was the ODDEST interview I have ever had. I felt like I was auditioning for a job. "Very New York," I remember thinking to myself. First, I was seated in a room of other applicants. We were called into separate rooms one by one. Each girl was in their interview for maybe a half hour. I watched as each was called in, and each walked out of the office. Finally, my name was called.

I was quizzed on a sheet that I was given to read, asked to sell the Chiropractor a container of alcohol wipes, asked to sell a coloring book without coming across as selling it, asked to follow a manual and enter myself into their computer, asked if I smoked weed because I'm from California, asked if I liked dogs, asked if I was offended by swearing...My interview lasted an hour and a half.

2. I got really sick. I was in bed for 3 days with stomach problems and migraines. This caused me to be out of work for 2 of the 3 days. Fantastic first impression, right? Unfortunately, germs do not wait for a convenient time to attack your immune system.

3. I turned 22 this past Monday! Unfortunately, I was too sick to do anything for it, but Shawn assures me he has a big surprise in-store for me. I will update on this after it happens.

4. Shawn's mom was in a car accident this past Tuesday. We immediately hoped in the car, and drove the 7 hour drive to his hometown to wait for news at the hospital she was taken to. The only information we had at the time we left, was that she was hit on the driver side of the car, and was being rushed to the E.R. I, of course, called in work to let them know my plans.

5. I was "let go" from my job.

6. Today, 4 days later, Shawn's mom was taken off of her respirator, and will soon move out of the ICU. She suffered 3 broken ribs, which caused a hematoma in her lung cavity, which caused her lung to partially collapse, and a broken pelvis. She underwent surgery to remove the hematoma and her lung is now re-inflated. She is bruised, and quite annoyed by the constant poking and prodding of the nurses, who have been extremely kind to us might I add, but is doing well and joking with everyone who comes in the room. She's a fighter, and is fighting with a smile on her face.

Needless to say, Shawn and I have been sleeping very little. We leave the hospital for a few hours every day, but have slept here every night. The first few nights we slept on the floor in the ICU lobby. As you can imagine, it was extremely uncomfortable, and extremely cold. Thankfully, one of his mom's nurses has become a bit of a friend to us, and got us two reclining chairs to place in her room. They recline into a bed. It's fantastic.

This entire month has been a bit of a whirl wind. Usually, I am a Halloween fanatic, and my birthday is celebrated the entire month. This year, however, October doesn't quite feel like October. I don't feel like I'm missing Halloween, or that I didn't really celebrate my birthday. Maybe I will throw a Halloween party in November. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment